The inspirations for Treetops colours surrounds me everywhere. Sometimes it’s a feeling, sometimes a moment in time. Or maybe a piece of fabric that catches my eye. I only have to travel just down the road to be refreshed by the crystal blue seascape of the Indian Ocean. The rich bird life in the expansive nature reserve across the street, cocoons my studio with the ever inspiring sights and sounds of the Australian bush.
Every year I add new creations to our collection, retiring old colours and making way for fresh new inspirations. It’s what keeps me motivated. And inspired.
But there are a few, very special colours in the collection, which are likely to be with me forever. One of my favourites, Southern Seas was created 20 years ago after I spent an idyllic week holidaying in Esperance, Western Australia, along the Southern coast. As we sat peacefully admiring the magnificent coastline, the rich and varied colours of the water came alive under the gaze of the summer sun. It was a moment in time I’ve never forgotten.
Born from memories, both happy and sad, all of the colours in my collection are created by hand and are unique to Treetops Colour Harmonies.
I hope they inspire you.
Artist Director and Founder of Treetops Colour Harmonies
For me, creating colour is my bliss. It’s where I can let go of the realities of running a small business and be free. It’s my absolute passion.
Of course the path to happiness is never a straightforward one. And I’ll admit the decade I spent studying geology and veterinary science may not be ‘normal’ for someone who lives and breathes colour. But then again, being able to create a specific colour is a science, so maybe it was all part of my destiny.
Losing myself in colour formulas is a self-confessed addiction! I’ve been known to spend days hand-dyeing and washing numerous samples before the perfect colour comes to life. It’s a slow, but thoroughly enjoyable process. And being a perfectionist, I wouldn’t have it any other way.
For over a quarter of a century we’ve hand-dyed all of our wool and silks. It’s the best, and in my opinion, only way to achieve the stunning depth of colour we’re famous for.
While Treetops Colour Harmonies now enjoys international distribution, as well as online sales to artists and craftsperons across the globe, I’m proud a small part of me can still be found in every one of our hand-dyed wools, silks and fabrics.
Yours in colour,
A few quirky facts about me
- I was born and raised in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- In 1990 my husband and I moved to Perth, Australia for a couple of years. We’re still here.
- We are fortunate to have two beautiful children.
- My favourite colour is orange. It warms my soul.
- My husband describes me as nurturing. My son, creative. And my daughter, bossy. I guess that’s life.
- The name ‘Treetops’ comes from the name of the property we built in the woods outside of Tulsa, where Treetops Colour Harmonies was hatched.
- Trees have always held a special place in my heart.
- As a child, my hobby was sewing. I’d spend hours poring through the latest pattern books and sewing like a mad hatter.
- We had to implement a ‘wool free’ zone in our house. The hazards of living with a textile designer…